Tuesday 11 September 2018

#lovenhs 5 - changing rooms


During these wonderful eleven days I am seeing a lot of different wards. In Glangwili General Hospital, Carmarthen where the tour starts I am in the Coronary Care (CC) Ward (Mon – Wed)
Then by Ambulance to Morriston Hospital in Swansea, where for only hour I am in Ward ‘C’ close to Coronary Care and then moved into the CCU where I am from Wed – Fri). Then back to Ward ‘C’ (Sat – Tues) and then Ward ‘M’ until my discharge on Thursday.

As I move from one ward to another several of my fellow men are moved with me or slightly before my relocation. Thus a sort of Cardiac Quadrille takes place. 

‘P’ is one such partner in the dance who has a permanent expression of anger. The TV is one most of the time. Only he watches it, especially Police Camera ActionTraffic Copsand 24 Hours in Police Custody(Channel 4). I overhear P tell his next bed neighbour that he had to attend a psychiatric evaluation as he attacked a suspected paedophile living his neighbourhood. No harm was done as P sunk the axe (bought specially for the purpose) into his victim’s front door frame. And, Excalibur-like, the axe remained embedded, immovable.

Daffyd (my name for him) was another member of the cohort. Daffyd was very tall, very broad and amiable to a fault. He had a kind word for everyone and when in Ward M he would often steer one patient, Marion, to the toilet. Most days his family would turn up for visiting time often attended by his partner. He was a Zumba instructor; half his size and girth with tight white jeans and floral shirts.

So my days passed. Marvellous medical people determined what was amiss with me and thus began the medication program to set me to rights. When I awoke on my last morning I took off my portable heart monitor and had my first shower for a long time, dressed in clean clothes and waited for the paperwork and Sian.

#lovenhs #nhswales #medicine #lovenhsstaff #nhs70)

That was in August, 6 – 16 (Home now, after eight days in cardiac units in South Wales.... The chance to watch and listen to some of the most professional people on the planet: Nurses were #Angels and Doctors were #Jedi. All of this was a mind-expanding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim