Friday 27 March 2020

CARREG CENNEN, SLIPPING AND SLIDING


The Road to Carreg Cennen is paved with good intent
We drove to Carreg Cennen Castle NE of Carmarthen town. Its strong walls stare down from the hill. 

It started to rain. By the time we’d parked and paid our entrance and were walking to the battlements it poured with rain.

We turned back, and I slipped lost my footing and slithered five yards on the muddy slope*. 

So it will be for another day to explore towered square court and six towers, all of different shapes and gatehouse.

Many a slip...

This wondrous place in the 11th century, doubtless inspired by the Norman occupation.

One visitor who did not turn back was Owain Glyndŵr, together with 800 mates, attacked Carreg Cennen, but, although wreaking severe damage to the walls, failed to take the castle in early July 1403.

I thought the Wars of the Roses were purely a northern England thing however it appears that Carreg Cennen was a Lancastrian stronghold.

Across the years, ownership of the castle passed to the Vaughan and Cawdor families. From the 18th century it started to attract artists, Turner, led the way, sketched the castle in 1798.

*my only trousers were completely covered in mud so I repaired to Aldi for something to wear instead of, they only had running trousers. I did not let the name put me off and they have served me well.  See previous Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim