Saturday 6 July 2019

FRIENDS REUNITED


Avro Vulcan
In July of last year, 2018, I visited Hendon Air Museum. Somewhere I must have put down and misplaced my Moleskine. My chums and I searched in vain so did the team at the museum, to no avail.

Imagine my amazement and delight when I received this email a few weeks back:
Hi Tim

It’s taken me a while to trace you but I believe that my 10-year-old son has found one of your sketchbooks on a trip to the RAF museum in London. The book contains sketches of Margate, Oxford, a t-Rex, trumpets and drums as well as a few sketches from the museum. Could this be yours? The only problem is that Toby was so inspired by the sketches of aircraft and service men that he’s added some of his sketches on the blank pages. 

Please let me know if this is yours and we will see if we can reunite you with it!


Long range British Bomber
Kind regards, Lucy

In due course with exchange of addresses and such the Moleskine arrived back home, with the precious addition of Toby’s five drawings.  (Subsequently I reciprocated with a cache of colouring pencils and a copy of the Observer’s Book of Aircraft. 

Lucy’s footnote is the only way one could finish this chapter, for the story will continue in some way, shape or form.

He has been very excited to share his news with his class at school and looks forward to seeing his sketches on-line. You’re very kind to do that as it’s really boosted his self-confidence. From our point of view, it has also given Toby an insight into morality and how the decisions you make affects other people because as explained previously he felt very protective of your little sketch book and took great care of it and was so pleased to find you. So sincerely, thank you for making a little fuss of him and reinforcing that notion. 

B17 Flying Fortress

F22 Raptor
WW1 Battle Ground 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim