Saturday 29 March 2014

DUNCHURCH: GARDENS AND GATEWAYS

DUNCHURCH: GARDENS AND GATEWAYS

Every week now I pass through the gates to Dunchurch Park. And pass through again to indicate the end of another visit. Two classical pillars embroidered with wrought iron filigree and from these posterns the long drive, thankfully bereft of speed bumps.

grand gates for a grand entrance


More gates, this time a tall tower that was once the entrance to the stable block, a quadrangle that has now been converted to guest quarters which on most visits I am billeted.

the gateway to my quarters


The gardens of Dunchurch Park are excellent. 

I have inveigled my way in with the team of gardeners. They have disarmed by obsequiousness and allow me free run of the dilapidated greenhouses which are Victorian and
Free run of the greenhouses
leavened with the scent of soil, growth and decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim