Friday 1 July 2022

PAINTING WITH PETER

 This is he who comes after me and he was preferred in honor before me; he whose sandal strap I am unworthy to loose.... John 1:27

 

The other weekend my dear friend, the artist Peter Spens and his fab wife, Jo, came to spend a few days down here in Laugharne. 

 



A MORNING VIEW  PETER SPENS OIL ON BOARD



  We billeted them at the excellent Strand  House B&B, a grand house on the foreshore.

 

   I was expecting to happily ferry Peter all over Carms and Pembs enabling us to draw, paint and talk. 





Instead, most of the time we were right here on the foreshore, drawing and painting the ever-changing estuary waters and sky.




ESTUARY AFTERNOON   PETER SPENS    OIL ON BOARD





 

I have sat at Peter’s feet for some twelve years now; lucky enough to do print making alongside him in his London studio part of the Cranley Gallery.

 

Across the weekend I rediscovered the joys of purposeful, unhurried drawing. Work to collect ideas for painting.  And discovered a new oil painting palette, a set of colours which yielded a different, exciting outcome for me.


PETER SPENS  THE JOY OF DRAWING

 

We did leave Laugharne to go to Manobier in Pembrokeshire to see Peter’s art college chum, the sculptor Bob Booth. Bob, full of beans and ideas, his workshops chocker with all manner of tools and machines. Coffee and cake in his wife’s wonderful garden.

 

A weekend fully powered by conversations and creativity.




AND I DISCOVER A NEW PALETTE OF COLOURS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim