Thursday 17 December 2020

BACK IN TOYKO

A couple of weeks ago, when looking for something else, I came across a cache of photographs I had taken when on visits to Japan, 2005 – 2007.  I was excited beyond measure, connecting with these images and immediately scuttled off to make drawings and paintings.

 



Japan the last truly foreign country and Tokyo is a city to match. Truth be told, it is the only place I really wish to return one day.  

 

Last year writers Michael Ryan and Luke Burgess put it well in their book Only In Tokyo. Link

 ‘If Japan is enigmatic, then Tokyo is the heart of that riddle, its rhythm and essence so utterly alluring that it demands to be explored. It has a depth that keeps travellers in a constant state of rapture and delight’.

 

I remember capturing my own feelings in a blog I kept at the time: 

Vivaldi In The Elevator? Smile, You’re Back!!

Skyscrapers beyond the dreams of Richard Rogers or Terry Farrell;

Swarms of people in white shirts, dark suits carrying impossibly slim briefcases. 

Commuters moving down the streets with the precision of a Red Square Parade

Rain polishing the whole place, ready for a remake of Blade Runner. 

Smile, you are back.  Back and you still don’t understand.        October 2005 Link  




 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim