Sunday 11 August 2013

MY SON - A bumpy ride




One of the bumpiest bus rides of my life took us to My Son

My Son is a cluster of mostly ruined Hindu temples, rising up through the undergrowth and trees. They were built between the 4th and the 14th century AD by the kings of Champa dynasty.

Some seventy different temples or what is left of them are scattered around this site; some standing proud, others just poking round through the undergrowth. We were amongst hoards of tourists stamping a path and stubbing toes, expecting to see Lara Croft round the next corner.

Our guide was careful to get our attention:
“When I talk you listen to me. If you no like you go. Are you clear everyone follow me”

It is claimed that U.S.A.F. destroyed a large majority of My Son in 1969. A story trotted out by every tour guide at every opportunity:
“Now, look here, American bombs, we found them in 1981”

My Son is regarded one of the foremost Hindu temple complexes in Southeast Asia. Like a lot of places round here it has UNESCO’s stamp of approval. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim