Monday 30 May 2016

Escape to Dún Laoghaire

A place to escape the hail showers
Bank Holiday Monday and not a soul about. I wanted to escape from the Sandyford Industrial Estate in search of something more human. Dún Laoghaire (Dunleary) is a seaside town about ten miles south, along the coast from Dublin.
It was chosen Laoghaire Mac Néill, a 5th-century High King of Ireland, as a sea base from which to carry out raids on Britain and Gaul. It was more peaceful on the afternoon of my visit although the wind was gusting to over 30 knots.

The harbour is one of the largest in the country. Getting out of my taxi I was confronted by two granite piers. A had a coffee to help me decide which to choose. Selecting the East Pier was a good decision; there were many people where out and about in the sunshine. Occasional gusts of rain drove us all inside this marvelous Victorian bandstand for shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim