Friday 29 December 2017

Drawing in Church 1 - I have the place to myself for a week




DAY ONE
THE PULPIT AND THE FONT
Not a sound, this lovely place is impervious to the noise of traffic. I have the whole place to myself, for a week. For this week I was on opening the church duty. Each morning I am to open and each evening lock up St Michael and All Angels Beaconsfield.

For some time I had been promising myself a series of drawings in the church; this week seemed an ideas opportunity.

PULPIT
The first drawing, of the pulpit, the origin of the word is the Latin pulpitum (platform or staging) it is raised well above the floor so we see and hear everything. Like all the furnishing in the church its lines are sparse, I keep thinking of Edward Lutyens.


FONT
I have not yet found out the lighting in the church so a draw the Font by the light of the torch on my phone.

Twenty-six years this coming February my daughter Bron was christened in this Font. The font placed at or near the entrance to a church's nave to remind us of our baptism and entry into the Church.


This font, like the pulpit, is so delightfully simple. It was made in 1955 by Faith Craft a company in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim