Tuesday 3 October 2017

The Ridgeway

Along the Ridgeway  Watercolour and Ink on paper 30 x 40 cm


The Ridgeway is a surprisingly remote part of southern central England. It travels in a northeasterly direction for 87 miles (139 Km) from its start in Wiltshire.

This is Britain’s oldest road and still follows the same route over the high ground used since prehistoric times by travellers, herdsmen and soldiers
and parts of it cross wonderful west Berkshire.

Occasionally I have cycled sections with good chum Ricardo, enjoying wide views of rolling chalk downland and passing  Stone Age long barrows, Bronze Age round barrows, Iron Age forts - an archaeological romp.

After the west Berkshire Churches trip in September I went through photos taken on previous rides; I came across one which I knew I must have taken to make a painting one day.  Here we are at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim